What’s the Bite of Eugene? Let the organizers tell you: “The 5th annual American Family Insurance Bite of Eugene is a celebration of our local food scene and culinary culture with a focus on sustainability. This year’s event will be held on July 20th from 11am-10pm at Alton Baker Park in Eugene. Admission is $5 for adults, children 12 & under are free. Food and beverages at the event will be priced and sold by the various participating local vendors. Food booths will be offering “bites” of their locally created provisions. Local beer and wine will also be offered along with non-alcoholic beverages. A wide array of entertainment is also available, including cooking classes, foodie seminars, local music, family/children’s area, and a live local Iron Chef competition.” See the full schedule of entertainers and other details here.
I’m thrilled to be back in action this year at the Iron Chef competition. Last year, I was going to be the emcee again, but couldn’t even stand up in July thanks to a car accident that smashed my knee, so I had to cancel. This year, I’ll be joining my co-hosts on Food for Thought on KLCC, Boris and Ryan, as not-so-distinguished judges for the final battle. Check out this amazing line-up:
IRON CHEF EUGENE 2013
With Emcee Lance Sparks
3:00pm: Battle Chinook Salmon
Chef Brendan Mahaney (Belly)
vs. Chef Brad Burnheimer (Agrarian Ales/Burnheimer Meat Co.)
Judges: Jeff Kandarian (Kandarian Cellars), Joel Pomerantz (OR Restaurant & Lodging Assoc.) and Ray Walsh (Capitello Winery).
5:00pm: Battle White Elm Mushrooms
Chef Justin Trent (Belly Taqueria)
vs. Chef Max Schwartz (Old Pad)
Judges: Mark Nicholl (William Rose Wines), Clive Wanstall (LCC), and Artie Lieder (Restaurant Consultant).
7:00pm: Iron Chef Eugene Championship: Battle Hazelnuts
Winner Battle Chinook Salmon
vs. Winner Battle White Elm Mushrooms
Judges: KLCC’s Food for Thought’s Boris Wiedenfeld, Ryan Stotz, and Jennifer Burns Bright, aka Levin, aka Culinaria Eugenius, aka yours truly!
Any local foodies will also be interested in the fantastic cooking seminars, featuring local talent and some of our best chefs, wildcrafters, fermenters, activists, and more. The headlining cooking classes will feature two past Iron Chef Eugene (and Oregon) winners.
See you there; can’t wait!
With Host Mac Chase
- 12:00-12:45 : Iron Chef Oregon 2012 Jeff Strom of Koho Bistro
- 1:00-1:45 : Iron Chef Oregon 2010 Gabriel Gil of Soubise
- 2:00-2:45 : Chef Emily Phillips of Red Wagon Creamery (making ice cream!)
- 12:00-12:45 : Food as Medicine with Sue Sierralupe (Occupy Medical)
- 1:00-1:45 : Making Ravioli with Sarah O’Grady (Pasta Plus)
- 2:00-3:00 : Fermenting Fun with Yaakov Levine (NTP)
- 3:15-4:00 : Food Bill of Rights with Paul Cienfuegos (Support Local Food Rights)
- 4:15-4:45 : 5 Pesky Weeds You Can Eat with Erin McIntosh (Mountain Rose Herbs)
- 5:00-5:30 : Pairing Beer & Cheese & Wine with Jamie Floyd (Ninkasi)
- 5:45-6:15 : Sustainable Food Systems and Preserving the Summer Bounty for Winter with Paul Fuller (Sweet Creek)
- 6:30-7:00 : Foraging for Fungi (TBA)
- 8:00-8:30 : Brewing Kombucha with Cutis Shimmin (Kore Kombucha)