Need a new canner? Please join me at a demonstration of basic waterbath canning techniques at Down To Earth (Olive & 5th) this Saturday, May 23, from 1-3. This will be the first of several in a series of preservation demos presented by the OSU Extension – Lane County Master Food Preservers and hosted at Down to Earth’s flagship store.
What will be covered:
- equipment you’ll need to can jams, jellies, and pie fillings;
- what can be canned safely in a waterbath canner;
- how to choose pectin for classic and low-sugar jams;
- using Clear-Gel for fruit pie fillings (we’ll have this hard-to-find professional-grade modified vegetable starch on hand for sale, with all proceeds benefitting the OSU Extension Master Food Preservers);
- tips on making jams beautiful enough to win ribbons at the County Fair;
- and much more!
Even if you’re an experienced canner, please stop by to say hello and help yourself to the delicious samples, recipes and hand-outs developed by the Master Food Preservers!
P.S. The photo features an antique pressure canner, not a waterbath canner, used at our MFP display at the Lane County Fair last year. It still works! If you don’t know the difference, come Down to Earth and ask me! :)